Just the third non-European driver to win the Monaco GP since Ayrton Senna's four-year run, Sergio Perez says that is simply one more sign of how troublesome it is for drivers beyond Europe to make it into Formula 1.
Perez took the checkered banner at the Monte Carlo road race adding his name to a distinguished rundown of non-European drivers to have come out on top in the race that incorporates Senna, Gilles Villeneuve, Jody Scheckter, Carlos Reutemann, Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren and Juan Manuel Fangio. Additionally more as of late, Juan Pablo Montoya and Mark Webber.
Perez, however, is the main Mexican driver to have accomplished that accomplishment.
The driver, who Red Bull affirmed before this week has another two-bargain for 2023 and '24, says he comprehend the greatness of what he accomplished on Sunday with the Monaco GP said to be the gem in F1's crown.
Superhombre! 🦸🏻♂️ pic.twitter.com/CPbSnRlHCK
— Oracle Red Bull Racing (@redbullracing) May 31, 2022
"Unquestionably, as far as history of the game, I love my game," he said. "Thus, unquestionably understanding winning a race like this.
"All in all, they're all vital, yet surely this is exceptionally unique. What's more, it goes extremely, high in the rundown for my country."
Of 20 drivers on the current year's matrix, Perez is one of seven non-European drivers yet the only one from South America. He has been addressing Latin America alone since Esteban Gutierrez was dropped after the 2016 season.
"I positively feel like right now, I'm the main Mexican - or even Latin American - driver on the lattice," he proceeded.
"Thus, it simply shows how troublesome it is for us - not expressing that for European drivers, it's simple - yet it shows how troublesome it is for us to make it into the game and to have fruitful profession in this game.
"It is very hard, however I need to say I'm incredibly glad for it."
Perez's remark comes following Nicholas Latifi having featured the "enormous penance" that all non-European drivers need to make to race in Formula 1.
"It's most certainly an extremely large responsibility," said the 26-year-old from Montreal. "Not just for North Americans - I mean, clearly Daniel Ricciardo can connect with that a considerable amount too.
"It's certainly a major penance. You create some distance from your loved ones and your home from an extremely youthful age.
"Hustling in Europe in the lesser series, on the ends of the week the vast majority of different drivers can require an hour or a two-hour flight home, see their loved ones in the off-time, and that clearly was not an extravagance for myself and I'm certain for Checo or Lance or Daniel.
"So it is troublesome, and something goes with the job. It's something I was exceptionally glad to do, to seek after my energy.
"So I surmise any driver that is not exactly European-based, whether they are in the lesser series or previously hustling at a significant level, it is a responsibility.
"I'm certain to make that step, it's something they will be glad to do on the grounds that clearly this is the zenith and I'm certain most drivers couldn't want anything more than to be there."

0 Comments