Sebastian Vettel has been fined 5,000 euros by the FIA stewards over his bike ride back to the pits during FP1 for the Australian Grand Prix.
The German's re-visitation of Formula 1 activity in the wake of missing the season's initial two races with Covid got off to an astounding beginning at Melbourne's Albert Park.
Aston Martin's hopeless starting to the mission went on as Vettel experienced a motor issue in his AMR22 during FP1, halting on target with the four-time previous World Champion moving out and assisting with smothering a little fire.
The meeting was red-hailed however rather than showing up back at the pits in the Safety Car, Vettel rode back on a marshal's bike.
What's more, not pillion either - all things being equal, the 34-year-old guided the machine himself, with his accident head protector not appropriately fitted, in any event, waving to the group with two hands immediately.
Next came an authority summons from the FIA with the to some degree entertaining title, given the ordinarily formal nature of these things, of "unapproved utilization of a bike on the track".
Notwithstanding Vettel having contended it was not really unapproved, the stewards neglected to see the interesting side and hit him with a 5,000 euros fine.
Their decision read: "Vettel inquired as to whether he could drive the bike to get back to his pit. The marshal consented.
"Vettel got on the bike, anticipating that the marshal should get on behind him. At the point when he didn't get on, Vettel left alone for the pit, without the earlier endorsement to do as such. In the mean time, the marshal was attempting to contact Race Control for directions.
"In driving on the track to his pit, rather than the assigned course, Vettel penetrated Article 26.7 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations which precludes anybody from being on the track in the five-minute time frame after the finish of a meeting, except for explicitly recognized faculty, which makes no arrangement for drivers to have such access except if explicitly approved."
Vettel had told columnists subsequently, cited via Autosport: "Clearly we had an issue, there was a touch of smoke and I lost power. Also, we needed to stop the vehicle on the track. I did all that could be expected to restrict the harm and get it off the track as quickly as time permits.
"I attempted to ensure the vehicle doesn't get any additionally harmed. The marshal was exceptionally useful, he had a Leatherman. I requested an Allen key, then, at that point, we remove a portion of the bodywork off so I could get under and cool the vehicle. So it was somewhat of a task.
"I asked 'could I at any point get back?' when I realized the vehicle was protected as far as not bursting into flames once more.
"The meeting was then finished and I asked 'is someone coming?' They said 'better believe it, when the meeting is finished'. Then, at that point, the person accompanied a bike and said 'you can bounce on the back'.
"I said 'could I at any point drive it?' since I like to drive myself. Then he gave me the bike, so I said 'alright' and he said 'off you go' and I went.
"At the end of the day, I might want to get the vehicle back and not have an issue in any case. Haven't arrived to drive a bike."
Having finished FP1 with the thirteenth quickest time, Vettel couldn't run by any stretch of the imagination in FP2 because of the motor issue.
"It halted our running, which was excruciating, and tragically it likewise cost us the entire meeting in the early evening which isn't great," added Vettel.
"I haven't been in that frame of mind for some time. In addition, the track is unique. It will be fine tomorrow, yet it would have been great to get more laps."

0 Comments